Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sahin: I was close to joining Arsenal three times

Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin has revealed that he was on the verge of joining Arsenal on a number of occasions in the past.
The 25-year-old is expected to feature from the start for BVB when they take on the Londoners in Tuesday's Champions League match, but he could very well have lined up for the Premier League leaders instead if things had gone differently.
"It was very close in 2012. Three times in my career I was almost at Arsenal. It never happened, but that is normal in football," Sahin said at a press conference.  
"I think I was 16 the first time and then last summer we spoke with Arsenal, but in the end I signed with Liverpool. 
"It was a good time for me to be part of a great club like Liverpool with such history and good team-mates."
Sahin then went on to discuss the Group F encounter versus Arsenal and singled out Mesut Ozil as one of their key players.
"Mesut is a great player and good friend of mine. If you said he was the only player for Arsenal it would be disrespectful, but you can definitely say he is an important part of the team.