Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Jones pleased at centre-back chance for Manchester United

Phil Jones admits he is pleased to finally be playing at centre-back for Manchester United as he looks to cement his place in England's World Cup squad.
Jones is held in high regard at Old Trafford but has been utilised in a variety of roles across the back four and in midfield since his arrival from Blackburn in the summer of 2011.
But with Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic suffering with injury problems the 21-year-old is set to be given his chance alongside Jonny Evans in the heart of defence.
"I'm happy with my own form," he told the Sun. "I'm pleased to be getting a bit of a run at centre-half.
"It's always nice to play in the position you feel most comfortable in. I played in midfield against Norwich in the Capital One Cup, but mostly it has been centre-back and that's where I want to be.
"When I came, it was always the plan to establish myself as a centre-back and I hope to do it this season. If the manager keeps faith in me, I'll make sure I can cement a spot there and get a good run there